8/14/98

August 14, 1998

Hey Kristi,
What’s up? I’m sorry I haven’t been keeping you up to date again… A lot has been going on; I’ve had a busy summer. We just went to court. My grandpa is in prison now. He was sentenced to 1-15 years and he has to pay for the counseling and my doctor bill because of all the physical pain he’s caused me. This has really been stressful for us.

I’ve had nightmares of grandpa and thoughts about what he might do to me or my family because I told. I also have flashbacks (while I am awake) of what he did to me way back on January 26th. It has been hard at school. The cops came and pulled me out of choir class (the biggest possible class) to ask me some questions. I think there are some rumors going around now. I guess it doesn’t matter because at the courthouse, I was asked to speak for the huge news camera. I did it because I wanted to help other people. I told them about the nightmares and flashbacks… It was very embarrassing.

I sometimes feel like I could have stopped it earlier than I did. Grandpa has always made me feel uncomfortable. That day he made me feel really uncomfortable all day. First, he would tell me over and over that he liked my haircut because it made me look older. Then, he wanted to rub my legs because they were sore after running. He came up behind me and put his arms around me and his hands down my underwear.

Later, I went downstairs to watch the news for school and he started to pull out the hide-a-bed and strip down to his garments in front of me. He told me to go change into my pajamas and come lay by him. When I came back, he asked me if I were wearing a bra because “you shouldn’t sleep in your bra” and asked whether or not I usually “sleep with sweatpants under [my] night gown”.

After I came back from changing again, I got in the bed. I don’t know why I did it. I just remember feeling like a robot on autopilot. After a while, he asked me to rub his belly again. (He usually wanted us to “rub his belly clockwise to help him lose weight.) He wanted me to turn to the side so he could rub mine. While this was happening, I began to black out. Soon, it was as if I wasn’t even there.

The next thing I remember is my grandpa asking, “Is this okay?” I really had to concentrate to know what was happening. He was playing with my nipple. I told him “no” and he moved his hand back to my belly. He asked me how low he wanted me to go. I didn’t answer. He informed me that he liked it “all the way down”. “Have you every wondered what a real man looks like?” He pulled off the covers to reveal that his garments were down and his penis was sticking straight up in the air.

I was shocked. He then suggested that I “pull down the skin and watch the pink part pop out”. I don’t know why I did it but after that I got off the bed, ran to my room and climbed in my own bed. He followed me into my room and said he was sorry and that I’d better not tell. Just then I knew exactly what I had to do! He said he would turn off the T.V. for me. I said I would do it, got off my bed, walked right past him, turned it off, then I had to run up the stairs to my parents room because he chased me; grabbing at my feet.

I started shaking all over but was somehow able to tell my parents. They sat and stared at me for what seemed like an eternity. Finally, they went downstairs and mom kicked him out. Well, I’m going to go. I’ll tell you about court later.
Love, Melonie


*All names have been changed in order to protect the privacy of those involved.